Birkenstocks are a type of sandal that has been gaining in popularity in the United States in recent years. A study by Statista found that as of 2016, Birkenstock was the sixth most popular sandal brand in the country, with a market share of 3.8%. This is a significant increase from the brand’s market share of 1.9% in 2012. And these figures further translate that a lot of Americans are wearing this type of footwear today.
So how to take care of Birkenstocks? If you own a pair of Birkenstock sandals, you’re probably asking this same question. And if you’re looking for answers, we suggest you go on reading as we’re going to share some care tips to keep your Birkenstock sandals neat and nice-looking all the time.
The Things You Need For Cleaning Your Birkenstock Sandals
Birkenstocks are a popular summer sandal, and many people enjoy the comfort they provide. However, like any other type of shoes, Birkenstocks need to be taken care of in order to last longer. Here are the things you need when taking care of your Birkenstocks:
- A Soft Damp Cloth – You’ll need a soft cloth to wipe down your Birkenstocks after wearing them. This will help remove any dirt or debris that could potentially damage the shoes.
- A Mild Detergent – If your Birkenstocks are starting to look a bit dirty, you can use a mild detergent to clean them. Be sure to avoid using anything too harsh, as it could damage the materials.
- A Toothbrush – A toothbrush can be useful for getting into the nooks and crannies of your Birkenstocks. This will help ensure that they’re completely clean.
- A Hairdryer – You can use a hairdryer to dry your Birkenstocks after cleaning them. Just be sure to set it on a low setting so you don’t damage the shoes.
- A Shoe Brush – A shoe brush can be used to remove any dirt or debris from the bottom of your Birkenstocks. This will help keep them looking new for longer.
Tips To Follow To Properly Take Care Of Your Birkenstock Sandals
So how can you make sure you take care of them properly? Here are a few tips:
- Avoid getting the shoes wet. Birkenstocks are made with suede and leather, which means they’re not ideal for getting soaked. If you do get them wet, be sure to dry them off as quickly as possible.
- Don’t expose them to extreme heat. Again, because Birkenstocks are made with suede and leather, you’ll want to avoid exposing them to excessive heat, which can cause the material to warp.
- Store them in a cool, dry place. When you’re not wearing your Birkenstocks, be sure to store them in a cool, dry place. This will help prolong their lifespan.
- Clean them regularly. To keep your Birkenstocks looking their best, you’ll need to clean them on a regular basis. You can use a suede brush to remove any dirt or debris from the shoes.
- A cork sealer can help protect your Birkenstocks from water damage. If you live in a rainy area, or if you tend to get your shoes wet often, it’s a good idea to use this product to keep them in good condition. Just apply it to the cork soles of your shoes, and it will create a barrier that will help keep water out.
And when you’re not wearing your Birkenstock sandals, it’s important to store them in a cool, dry place. This will help prolong their lifespan. You may also want to consider using a shoe storage box or bag to protect them from dust and dirt.
Moreover, if you live in a warm climate, you may want to keep your Birkenstocks in the fridge during the hot summer months. This will help prevent them from getting too warm and potentially damaging the materials.
By following these tips, you can ensure that your Birkenstocks will last for many years to come.